|Objective:||To build a model bridge, according to prescribed size and weight specifications, that is capable of supporting the greatest load per unit of mass.|
|Location:||American Museum of Science & Energy
300 South Tulane Avenue, Oak Ridge, TN 37830
AMSE Contact – Corwin Witt (865-241-2148) firstname.lastname@example.org Fax (865) 576-6024
|Eligibility:||Students in grades 7-12|
|Schedule||March 1, 2013
March 9, 2013
8:30 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
12:00 p.m. -2:00 p.m.
March 16, 2013
|Send pre-registration forms to AMSE
Testing continues followed by award presentations
|Construction:||In accordance with the Model Bridge Building Specifications (pdf) Updated 1/8/13
|Sponsors:||American Museum of Science & Energy, American Society of Civil Engineers, Tennessee Society of Professional Engineers, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, & AMSE Foundation|
|Prizes:||Prizes will be awarded in each division for first, second, and third place for the bridges with the highest structural efficiency (E= maximum load/model mass)|
Most Aesthetic Bridge will receive a trophy**
Bridge Contest Rules:
- The contest is open to high school and junior high school students grades 7-12
- .Bridges must meet all specifications of the Model Bridge Building Contest. Those bridges not meeting specifications may be tested, but results will not count.
- **A bridge must also meet specifications to qualify for the Aesthetics award. Bridges in Aesthetic category should be registered and qualified for testing before the 10:00 a.m. Aesthetic competition. Bridges submitted by 5:00 p.m. Friday evening (March 8, 2013) to the AMSE by mail to be pre-judged can qualify for the Aesthetic competition.
- Bridges may be entered in person on the day of the contest. All bridges must be entered between 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- Models will be tested in the museum auditorium on the contest day. Students and parents are encouraged to attend.
- Bridges not claimed in one week will become property of the museum and will be used for display.
- Judges will be provided by the contest sponsors. All decisions of the judges will be final.
- Please check with website periodically for any corrections to rules and regulations and frequently asked questions. www.amse.org
- *Ninth grade students may compete in either division; however, cash prizes are awarded only in the senior high division.