|Objective:||To build a model bridge, according to prescribed size and weight specifications, that is capable of supporting the greatest load per unit of mass.|
|Location:||American Museum of Science & Energy
300 South Tulane Avenue, Oak Ridge, TN 37830
AMSE Contact – Corwin Witt (865-576-3207) email@example.com Fax (865) 576-6024
|Eligibility:||Students in grades 7-12|
|Schedule||March 1, 2014
March 8, 2014
8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m.
|Send pre-registration forms to AMSE
Testing begins when a bridge is qualified.
Award presentation at completion of all bridge testing.
|Construction:||In accordance with the Model Bridge Building Specifications (pdf)
|Sponsors:||American Museum of Science & Energy, American Society of Civil Engineers, Tennessee Society of Professional Engineers, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, AMSE Foundation, &
|Prizes:||Prizes will be awarded in each division for first, second, and third place for the bridges with the highest structural efficiency (E= maximum load/model mass)|
Most Aesthetic Bridge will receive a trophy & $100.00**
Bridge Contest Rules:
- The contest is open to high school and junior high school students grades 7-12.
- Bridges must meet all specifications of the Model Bridge Building Contest. Those bridges not meeting specifications may be tested, but results will not count.
- **A bridge must also meet specifications to qualify for the Aesthetics award. Bridges in Aesthetic category should be registered and qualified for testing before the 10:00 a.m. Aesthetic competition. Bridges for the Aesthetics award will be selected by the judges during the registration and checking of the bridges.
- Bridges may be entered in person on the day of the contest. All bridges must be entered between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. EST.
- Models will be tested in the museum auditorium on the contest day. Students and parents are encouraged to attend.
- Judges will be provided by the contest sponsors. All decisions of the judges will be final.
- Please check with website periodically for any corrections to rules and regulations and frequently asked questions. www.amse.org
- *Ninth grade students may compete in either division; however, cash prizes are awarded only in the senior high division.
- Any modification to the contest bridge must be done by the actual bridge builder.