Taken from the volcano.
This experiment is very similar to the classic volcano experiment and can be applied to a volcano is you wish.
- 1 liter soda bottle
- dishwashing liquid
- Baking Soda
- Flat tray or pan
Ask an adult to help gather the needed supplies and to watch your experiment.
- Place the 1 liter soda bottle on the flat tray or pan.
- Pour in approximately 2.5 cups of vinegar
- Squeeze in a generous amount of dishwashing liquid
- Add 3 tablespoons of baking soda
- Stand back and watch it foam.
What’s going on?
Vinegar and Baking Soda are two chemical compounds that react together to make carbon dioxide, CO2.
Baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate NaCO3
Vinegar is acetic acid, CH3COOH
CH3COOH(aq) + NaHCO3 (s) –> CH3COONa(aq) + CO2(g) + H2O(l)
The foam is formed by capturing the carbon dioxide gas, CO2, as it is released.